Friday, September 24, 2010

The Greatest MUSEic

Rose & are going to see Muse saturday night. I would put them somewhere in the top 10 bands of the last decade and somewhere in my top 25 of all time. So...
Here my top 20 Muse songs, 4 from each album. I have liked them the instant I heard "Sunburn" sometime the end of 1999. It sounded like the Y2K fears rolled into personal turmoil. They certainly have evolved from their Radiohead-esque beginnings to attain their own sound. Mix Cure paranoia/Radiohead political panic with the bombast of Queen and melodic sense of Rachmaninoff..and top with space-rock genius arrangements = Muse. They have riffs straight out of Sabbaths songbook, piano chops worthy of Chopin and Matt Bellamy's voice, though sure highly influenced by Jeff Buckley, has evolved into his own minor-key angst.
You can simply watch my entire playlist and hear them evolve. I put my favorite song at the beginning of each album/era. Hence: "Showbiz" from their first album; "Map of Your Head" from their 2nd (though it is a b-side from that era); "Time Is Running Out", when they went global!; "Starlight" (which I know I'll get flak from because it's their poppiest moment ever...but I love it!); "The Resistance" from it's title album...what a freakin' chorus!. I also enjoy "Bliss"'s sequenced keyboard motif. That killer last riffage from the end of "Knights of Cydonia" makes me want to go 100 m.p.h. on the freeway when I hear it. Enough already let's listen:


No comments:

Post a Comment